Friday, March 16, 2012

London Town

London was awesome. Although, it was short lived, and I didn't really go out to see much, because I was sooo exhausted.

After the tea shop I headed towards my first host's flat.  Which in retrospect, I really should have taken the tube.  Oh well it was nice out, and it was a quick 40 minute walk.  Once I had deciphered the impossible postal code used by the British, I found myself at Soner's flat.  I was still unsure if this was the correct address at this point, I rang the door bell and literally the first thing he said was "You're in the right place".  Oh good.  I must have looked lost, but I also really had to pee at that point (Europe doesn't have public bathrooms everywhere, you can't just pee whenever, you have to plan for it. And if you don't plan for it, be prepared to pay).

Soner is originally from Turkey and has lived in Rochester as well as several places throughout Europe.  His job in telecommunications brought him to London, an opportunity he took with much enthusiasm.  Living in London allows him to improve upon his English, which was pretty freaking good by my standards.  His flat consisted of the bedroom, a seperate bathroom across the hall, and a kitchen he shared with the two or so other flats in the hall.

I was prepared for a supreme awkwardness once I did arrive, but it never came.  We sat in his room while he worked on his computer and just talked bout traveling and other's perceptions of our own cultures.  After a bit, he mentioned that he had a weekly football (soccer) date to go to for a couple hours, and that I could either sleep or go out.  I thought that I had to pick between the two.

Nope.  He was going to give me his only key.

And an extra cell phone.

Uhhhh, really? I mean I'm not saying that I'm not a trustworth person to give your keys to, but we literally met two hours prior. If that.  But I mean, okay. I didn't really want to be trapped in the apartment until he came back.  So we walked out together, and he directed me to Hyde Park.  I took some amazing pictures there, unfortunately I forgot to have the proper card in my camera so I am unable to share those pictures at this time....

After walking around the park for an hour or so (and being pestered by an Englishman that insisted I should let him take me out...) I walked back to Soner's flat and slept my face off. 

Once he came back and cleaned himself up, we went out to O'Neils pub.  I was about to order the standard fish and chips, but decided I should be eating substantially weirder things, not something I can get at a Claddaugh's. So, I got the chicken liver and brandy pate. 

It looked like dog food with toasted brioche.

Kind of tasted like it too.

Whatever, it was worth the risk.  The pub also had a live band that we stayed and watched for a bit.  All night we had awesome conversations mostly about cultures and politics.  It as extremely interesting to hear his point of view, and I was surprised to hear him say that he loved living in America, and loved Americans as well.  That is something I'm always shocked to hear, as I generally consider us as the Asshole's of the World thanks to our government and its policies.  Afterwards, we took the tube back and went straight to bed, er couch.

Unfortunately, I had to be up fairly early that morning to catch a train to Holyhead, to catch the ferry to Dubin... but that's for another post I think...

Cheers from London
Tegs

No comments:

Post a Comment