Thursday, May 3, 2012

An Update in Real Time

Most of my posts in the past have been, well, in the past.  So I thought I would give a brief, current update on my situation.

So far, along with some other cities you have yet to hear about, I've made it to Maastricht.

Some of my belongings have not.

I'd like to dedicate the first half of this entry to my fallen comrades.

Firstly, while it was not quite a death, I'd like to mourn the loss of my khaki green coat.

I managed to turn it purple khaki in Switzerland, when I washed it with my scarf.

A pair of white socks was also caught in the cross fire and turned pink.

The coat never fully recovered after its initial injury.  Later it lost one button in Prague, and another in Maastricht.

It is still in critical condition, but I'm hoping for a full recovery, as both buttons have been kept on ice ever since.

My boots, however, do not share such a happy ending.

I officially laid my two faithful steeds to rest in Prague.

Cobblestones had weakened their immune system and they caught full fledged pneumonia in the Venice rain.

Also in Venice, one boot suffered burn wounds from a heater that was meant to cure the pneumonia.

Both boots were given death masks before their proper funeral.

I am happy to report that that sums up the casualties at this time

Now, as I've been abroad for seven weeks now, I have a pretty solid opinion if the things I miss about the States and the things I do not miss about the States.

Here they are.

Things I Do Not Miss:

Driving a car

Being able to understand small talk going on around me

Walmarts

Seeing people in their pajamas

Seeing obese people in their pajamas

Being able to understand any advertisements at all

Jersey Shore

Hardcore Republicans

Drive-thru's

Being available by phone 24/7

The 12hr clock (24 is so much simpler)

Presidential campaign advertisements

Kim Kardashian

Pick-up trucks and SUV's

Now...
Things I Do Miss:

Towels bigger than napkins

Not having to always carry some sort of bag

Blow dryers and straightening irons

Toenail Polish

Having more than four outfits

Normal usage of the word "exactly"

Not having everything I own rolled in rubber bands or sealed in zip lock baggies

Showers that have curtains

American electrical sockets

Talking fast and using slang

My personal bubble

24 hour stores

People picking up on my sarcasm

Salsa

Eating healthy and regular meals

My awesome queen sized mattress

Lotion

Singing in the car

Jeopardy!

Panera

My current roommates

My new roommate

The awesome people I work with

Friends from back home

Sisters in Columbus

My fam

Good peanut butter

That's probably not quite everything, but you get the idea.

Tegs









1 comment:

  1. Love the last pix of your boots turned into dragons.
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete